Friday 19 September 2014

Huxley's Bar and Bistro


It's so nice to see Huxley's back up and running as one of the staple restaurants in Chipping Campden. I say again as just a couple of years ago this place was on the market, again, and not operating as a business at all. Until Andre, the owner came along and found a way of creatively using the unusual small space that is Huxley's restaurant. Managed by Marco Porta, this place is sheer cosiness even on the hot summers day we ventured out on. Outside you'll find a gorgeous courtyard with wooden tables and large parasols complete with a mix of acoustic italian and modern music playing.
You maybe in the heart of Chipping Campden but Huxley's courtyard transports you to Southern Italy for an hour or 2. Bliss!  


The menu is easy to navigate with a mix of choices to help build your experience. Four types of Bruschetta for a light nibble at lunch, sharing boards and authentic antipasti for the social ones or soup of the day for something cosy. We both (I met up with my lovely mum for lunch) chose the delicious goats cheese salad and we were so pleasantly surprised when it arrived. A really generous amount of melt in your mouth goats cheese served with oil soaked peppers, crostini and beautiful rustic green leaves.

I also had a locally pressed juice made from Gloucestershire apples to wash my lunch down with. I can honestly say I enjoyed every mouthful. 
  
Not got the time for a meal? The coffee is the best I've tasted in Chipping Campden in 10 years and comes with a gorgeous little biscuit or for that extra naughty treat beautiful homemade cakes, I think I was told they are made by the managers Mum? 

Everything is served on beautiful rustic crockery, made in England too which I always think is a treat! 

  
The staff are a team of local friendly faces which if you have lived in Chipping Campden all your life you will recognise, but if not you'll appreciate the comfortable atmosphere they create. Not forgetting Percy the regular house guest, or is that pest? Either way we giggled at the notice that was on the table we happened to pick!
I can't wait to visit in the winter (by the way if you haven't been to Chipping Campden around Christmas...GO!)  and eat inside where the teeny cosy restaurant, sit by the fire and read a complimentary newspaper, with another one of those yummy biscuits served on the side of my coffee! 


Thank you Huxley's, we'll be back soon!

Millie and Meg x





No comments:

Post a Comment