Thursday 30 October 2014

Halloween in the Cotswolds

'Trick' Or 'Treat'

Last week at 7pm, on a dark and dank evening, I put on my wellies and my warmest coat and ventured to Over Farm. I was on my way to the South Wests' largest Halloween festival, 'FrightMare' which for someone who easily scares, was brave! 

I had visited Over Farm before, for a walk around the farm and a rummage in their market shop, but never had I seen it looking like this. The farm had been transformed into a Halloween extravaganza, with more homegrown pumpkins than you have ever seen. But this wasn't a friendly affair, and you soon realised when beyond the pumpkins appeared the sadistic clowns, the zombies and the frightened faces. 



The sellout event was back with avengeance this year with 4 updated attractions including a panic room, fright house and seance experience. But my absolute favourite was the legendary Haunted Hayride. After 15mins of queuing (which is an experience in itself, with freaky actors popping up all over the place) we were taken through to a waiting area to begin. As we were sat on the big haybales we saw the previous hayriders getting off the trailer and noticed their pale, slightly bemused faces. I can't say at this point I was looking forward to it! We got onto the trailer to begin our journey. I don't want to give too much away just In case you are going, or you are tempted to book next year, but expect the following:

- Dark spooky countryside 
- Rogue highwaymen climbing up the truck
- highwaymen hijacking the tractor and driving a trailer like you never thought possible! Hold on bloody tight!
- Decamping the trailer, hostage style 
- A pitch-black labryth ... Make sure you have someone's hand to hold!
- A rescue mission and a shooting

(Photo courtesy of Frightmare Halloween festival - I wasn't allowed to take my own photos but to be honest, I was too scared to care!) 

Not your thing? I didn't think it would be mine either. But I found myself being seduced into wanting to be scared more and more! The whole thing was a bit of a blur as I didn't really know what to expect. But I know I enjoyed it and above all I would 100% go back for more heart racing terror next year. 

After your 4 frightening experiences, stick around for the bar, the food and the fair! Well worth the £18. 




So off the back of my rather dubious visit to OverFarm last Friday I thought I would post 4 more attractions that have caught my eye this Halloween in the Cotswolds. Many fantastic Halloween events are already fully booked or happened last weekend but all 4 are events you can still go to! Next year I want to try the Whole Foods "Rock and Ribs" Halloween and some of the cosy pub murder mysteries! 



Cheltenham racecourse will be using their new big screen for the second time since it arrived to show the garish Rocky Horror Show. This is no normal cinema experience however, with the screen being fully interactive complete with sing-alongs and dancing! Stick around after the film where there will be comedy sketches, songs, competitions and prizes.


do you really need an excuse to go to The Cotswold Wildlife park? We thought not! Expect Wolves, owls, spiders and bats! A new tree-house adventure playground complete with a giant spider, a pumpkin patch created by expert carvers and don't forget to take a ride on the spooky train!
Price of admission: Adults £13, Children £9, Seniors £9. Discounts for season ticket holders


Get your craft on  at the pottering about studio and carve a pumpkin at the pleasure gardens deli. Listen to creepy stories in the cinema of the stables courtyard, about the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow". Attempt the Labyrinth and win some goodies on the "Which Witch is Witch" Trial.


For small kids and big kids, no matter what your age there will be something for you at South Cerney's Halloween extravaganza! Haunted pirate ship trips around the lake, a roaring bonfire for toasting marshmallows, bobbing for apples, treasure hunt on a creepy nightline trail, delicious food from Wiggly Worm, lantern canoe tours on zombie island and a fancy dress competition! From 3:30-9:30pm at South Cerney Outdoor Pursuit. 



Millie and Meg x

No comments:

Post a Comment